Lunch skins from 3 Green Moms
A friend of mine tipped me off yesterday to 3 Green Moms, and I tell you – I have not been more excited about something like this for quite some time! These entrepreneurial mothers have created a product that can both help save the environment and serve as a fun, unique fundraiser for your child’s school or athletics program.
Instead of purchasing plastic baggies, pack sandwiches and snacks in reusable lunch skins. They are colorful, eco-friendly, and perhaps most importantly…. dishwasher safe! As described on the 3 Green Mom’s website, the goal was to replace the 40-year old zippered sandwich bag with an alternative that is “reusable, durable, easily washable and fun!”
Why didn’t I think of this?
3 Green Moms found a “food-safe German fabric,” then designed and manufactured the bags here in the United States. I consider this to be the lunch-bag version of canvas shopping bags!
Lunch Skins are made from a thick cotton fabric that is coated with a food-safe, moisture-proof polyurethane liner. This unique high-quality fabric is manufactured in Germany by a family-owned business and has been used for many years in bakeries and restaurants. The fabric meets all EU, as well as US, standards for food contact.
The lunch skins come in a variety of patterns, from bananas to sharks. The prices are very reasonable, considering the fact that they can be used many times over: $8.95 for a large and $7.85 for a small. With four children, I figure my relatively small investment will pay for itself in about 4-6 months. Then, I’ll have them for years ahead. Maybe I’ll even send the lunch skins to college….?
As described on the website:
These bags are food safe, extremely durable, grease-proof and can even be thrown in the dishwasher. Their design is so innovative and unique that they even have a patent pending!
If you want to raise money for your kid’s school or sports, its very easy with 3 Green Moms. You can even have the lunch skins printed with your school or team colors! It cannot be easier: no fees, no minimum orders, and you get to keep 30% of the proceeds.
The website sets forth these simple steps:
- Contact 3greenmoms to schedule your green fundraiser
- Sample products, informational materials and a Student Order Form will be sent to you
- Announce the fundraiser to parents, teachers, coaches, students and/or athletes
- Take orders and collect money (checks to be made to 3greenmoms LLC)
- Send in one consolidated order form to 3greenmoms, plus payment and shipping costs
- Receive your product at one designated address, you should have volunteers sort products to the corresponding student order form, then help with distribution
- Finally… the most important part! 3grenmoms will issue a check equal to 30% of the net proceeds to the school PTA, sports team, or other designated group.
Beyond living green and minimizing their carbon footprints, 3greenmoms donates a percentage of their online sales to C&O Canal Trust, which is working to protect and restore the historic canal near Washington D.C. (see www.canaltrust.org for more).
Why not purchase a few lunch skins today and stop throwing away plastic sandwich bags? After all, if you have stopped using plastic shopping bags, why would you still be throwing away your lunch wrappings?
I may not be one of the “3 Green Moms,” but I am indeed a green mom who is ready to change her brown-bagging ways to a greener option.